Latest Posts

Insurgent (Divergent #2)

By 8:27 pm

By Veronica Roth 

If you have not seen my review of Divergent please visit here first

Tris has survived a brutal attack on her former home and family. But she has paid a terrible price. Wrecked by grief and guilt, she becomes ever more reckless as she struggles to accept her new future.

Yet if Tris wants to uncover the truth about her world, she must be stronger than ever...because more shocking choices and sacrifices lie ahead. 


Review - No Spoilers

I finished this book and boy is my mind blown. I went into this book with low expectations as I have heard so many discussions about how it's not as good as the first one. I must say I agree, it didn't disappoint me but there were just a lot of issues I will go into more detail later. I guess I'll start off with the cover, unfortunately I got stuck with this one because for some reason publishers like to mess with us readers and give us different covers. I don't like this one as much as the other version so that slightly annoyed me.

I'm going to start with the issues in this book that annoyed me so I can end on a happy note. I think Tris was the main problem for me. I found her childish and she just does really dumb things in my view. I don't want to say too much or I'll give it all away but the relationship between her and Tobias is definitely pushed to the limits. Sometimes I think Tris becomes very self-centred which got tiring and annoying and it just got to the point where I thought I wouldn't finish Insurgent. I definitely didn't read this nearly as quickly as Divergent which is a shame.

Now onto the good things! I really liked Insurgent because we got to see a different side of Tobias we didn't get to see in the first novel. I found that really touching and we get more of his back-story which is great so his character development was really well done. But we also see the "instructor" side of him which was sort of needed in some situations. 

Insurgent was definitely filled with more action. It just felt like every happy moment was short lived so that kept me turning pages for hours. All the questions that are asked in Divergent are answered in this book but with the new knowledge we gain more questions which are asked which is frustrating as we have to wait till Allegiant comes out. (which is quite soon) We also obtain more knowledge about the other factions, Divergent was more focused on the Dauntless so it was really interesting finding out more about Amity and Candor. There customs and routines are so different to Dauntless it's just refreshing to read. 

Overall I both hated this book but loved it at the same time so I have mixed feelings on it. There were many things that could have been different about this book and the ending was so good and I am dying to read the next book. It's a little sad to know that it will be the end of the series though so that's a little depressing. There are many new characters the readers meet and there are many characters you don't expect to do certain things. (That's all I'm saying) 
Here are a few quotes that I found funny:

"You don't let us do anything," says Tobias. "If you don't step aside we will be forced to step over you instead of past you." - Spoken like a true Dauntless. 
Grief is not as heavy as guilt, but it takes more away from you. - I thought this is a good quote as it's very true. 
"Yep. Figured it would be harder for anyone to shoot me if they saw how devastatingly attractive I was." - I found this really funny. 
"If you ask me the Dauntless are too gun-happy anyway."-  I also found this really funny
They must see someone I don't see. Someone capable and strong. Someone I can't be; someone I can be. -  I'm not sure why I really like this quote

I GIVE IT: I have a new rating system so please have a look here.



2 comments

  1. Great Review, I'm really glad this picked up. It's great we get to see a softer side of Tobias but it sucks that Tris was well, so sucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read Divergent, but I keep hearing how great Insurgent is, so it's nice to see there were aspects you didn't like. Brilliant review, when I get around to it, I can't wait to read more about Tobias' back-story! <3 him.

    Tilly @ Hardcore Heroines

    ReplyDelete