Latest Posts

Shatter Me

By 10:11 am

By Tahereh Mafi 



Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.



'You can't touch me,' I whisper. I'm lying is what I don't tell him. He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him. Please touch me, is what I want to tell him.
But things happen when people touch me.
Strange things.
Bad things.
Dead things. 



No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal - but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.
But Juliette has plans of her own.

After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time - and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.   

Review - No Spoilers 

Shatter Me was a really interesting novel that I enjoyed so much. It has a futuristic setting that is so realistic it's quite unsettling. The description for the scenery was so well done you can imagine it really well in your mind which is a huge accomplishment for an author.

Now I'll start off with saying that the cover is interesting. I like how it says "My touch is Lethal. My touch is power." This is a perfect quote for the cover as it makes you immediately curious as to what it is about. I picked up this book without knowing anything about it and it did not disappoint me. There is nothing more that I hate than when a book wastes my time. I think the cover could have had a little more to it but I'm guessing it's to create curiosity which worked well for me. I saw it on a poster in my library and I immediately went to go find it. Another factor that drew my attention was the title, I find it quite intriguing and I think there could have been many possibility's with the title and after reading the novel I understand it much better. 

The setting is very dark and scary and I felt very unnerved when reading this as the world could actually turn out like it is in this novel so you can tell the author spent a lot of time planning it. A lot of aspects of the books are very realistic but others are not, but this is expected as it is fiction. When your reading this novel it makes you imagine that life could eventually be like this and this put me in deep thought and I had to keep reminding myself that it was only a book. I got so engrossed in it I had to stop and take a few minutes because it brought out a lot of emotions in me which is another great accomplishment for an author. You know an author did a great job when it captivates your audience.

I absolutely loved the characters and the character development is brilliant. It's really interesting to read from the main characters - Juliette's - perspective. The writing style the author chose is very different to what I was use to and I found it slightly annoying when I read the first few chapter but you get used to it. I also realized why the author chose to write like this, as when you analyse the main character, you understand why the author writes this way. So I found this was a smart idea and it shows great skill and time spent on developing on the main character. This makes it again very realistic which is what the author would want.

With most books I can say you'll absolutely love it but this is a difficult novel to review. It's not a guarantee that you'll love it but that is with most books. It's either you like it or you don't and this is depending to your preferences of genres. A lot of people have said they didn't like this book and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. But you have to remember this is my opinion and my opinion only and it's up to you readers to either read it or not. It's up to you whether you like it or not and you shouldn't have to say you like it just because other people say it's good.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a pleasant surprise as I have never read this book and I didn't have high expectations as I have never really heard about it. I don't understand why it got so many bad reviews on Goodreads and I think people just need to give it a chance. I absolutely can't wait to read the next book and I know the next one is going to be more intense, jam-packed with action and I am dying to read it!

Shatter Me literally shattered me

I GIVE IT: 

2 comments

  1. Awesome Review! Your reviews have developed so much and it's great to see. I have heard about this book a lot and until now it hasn't really grabbed my attention, but now it's definatley something I want to read. Love that photo so much! A day at the beach with a hooking book sounds perfect right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks! I really am trying to improve my reviews and making it more sophisticated. I recommend it for you but this books isn't for everyone. It's either you love it, or you hate it. But that's the thing with most books but usually I can say you'll love it. But this one is difficult so it's not a guarantee

    ReplyDelete