Latest Posts

{Review} Pivot Point by Kasie West

By 6:30 pm

Author: Kasie West
Release Date: February 12th 2013
Publishers: HarperTeen
Pages: 343
Genre: Mixture of paranormal, sci fi and dystopian
Links: Goodreads | Author's Website  | Buy the book


Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .


Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.

Review

I know you didn't read the summary, go back up and read it! Seriously it will make you want to read this magnificent book. I have been in a reading slump for ages and this book just reminded me why I loved reading so much!

Loved these at the beginning of the chapters
Up the top I didn't really state what genre it is because to be honest I have no idea. It's like a mixture of paranormal, sci fi and dystopia and I think that's what makes this book so unique. Pivot Point in short is basically a girl called Addison - or Addie if you like - who lives on the Compound which is filled with people with advanced minds. And by advanced minds I mean people who have special talents and abilities. She has the power to see the two outcomes of a decision and her talent falls under the category of Divergence (weird I know!) which commonly gets mixed up with Clairvoyance. When Addie's parents confront her with their sudden divorce, she has to Search the outcomes on whether to choose to live with her dad or mum. But sometimes knowing what will happen doesn't make the decision any easier.

Each chapter alternates between Addison living with her mum and dad. I thought I'd get confused in each chapter but there's such a differentiation between each 'life'. If Addison decides to stay with her mum, she keeps living on the compound whereas her dad ventures out into the 'Norm' world leaving everything behind. One thing I liked is that each choice followed the same story-line yet have completely different outcomes in the end.

I haven't read any other novels written by Kasie West but she portrays such a good teen voice. I loved Addison as our protagonist and I felt such a strong connection with her. She was strong-willed and stood by her morals no matter what. Also she didn't care what people thought of her, as long as she stayed true to herself. Addie was also a very quirky character that often made me smile at her sense of humour.

Oh the romance! In each of her Searches there's a boy she'll end up with and to an extent it's almost a love-triangle...but not, because it's just what could happen. (Remember this whole book is about what could happen based on one decision) The love interests are polar opposites but have one common interest, football. This book is pure genius because every character somehow intertwines with each Search. If she stays with her mum she ends up with Duke, star quarterback, cocky with a winning smile and then there's Trevor who is a Norm. He once was a quarterback on the way to a bright future but got knocked out of the field after a fatal injury to his shoulder. From the beginning I was routing for Trevor but her decision isn't as easy as choosing one guy over the other.

I hold such a deep fondness for this ingenious story and I praise Kasie West for pulling me out of this long slump. It's so easy to immerse yourself into the clever plot and you won't be able to put the book down.  The only regret I have is not reading it sooner! Pivot Point was such a refreshing read with it's creative (but not too complex) storyline and it didn't suffer the 'No Parent Syndrome' or the common angsty teen drama which I loved.  My mission is to read all her other books and I'm dying to read Split Second. My review doesn't do the book justice but trust me when I say you won't regret reading this ;)

Happy reading!




3 comments

  1. Awesome review Francoise! I haven't read anything by Kasie West yet and have been wanting to read this one since it came out. I borrowed it from the library so I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too! Hopefully you enjoy the second one too and i know what you mean by feeling like you can't do the book justice with your review! I think all us bloggers felt that way about this book!
    Great review
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what to write in this comment purely because you know how I feel about this amazing read! Believe me when I tell you that this is just the beginning of a long Kasie West addiction. So glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete