Latest Posts

{Review} The Maze Runner by James Dashner

By 6:24 pm


Author: James Dashner
Release Date: October 6th 2009
Publishers: Delacorte Press
Pages: 374
Genre: Dystopia 
Links: Goodreads | Author's Website  | Buy the book


When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Review
The Maze Runner surprised me in a good way. Although I had heard so much talk and praise for this trilogy it never really compelled me to read it. It's always been something sitting on my TBR list, not getting any notice. The trailer for the upcoming movie pushed me in the right direction and boy am I glad. But I have to say, James Dashner, you are a legend! This faced paced novel managed to pull me out of my slump and I can't wait to read the next.

Thomas woke up dazed in a lift surround by faces of boys who weren't familiar. He had no recollection of who he was - but his name - and of his past and he soon found out that none of them did either. The Glade is surrounded by 4 large walls that leads to a maze that is forever changing. But when nighttime hits so do the nightmares. Creatures called Grievers prowl during the night and no one is said to survive a night out in the maze. It's the Gladers job to figure out the maze before it's too late.

The one thing I loved about this book is that you can't compare it to any other dystopia. I find quite often that people always see similarities between dystopian books which always irks me because every book is unique in their own way. The whole concept of this novel intrigued me and I found myself becoming immersed in the world of the Gladers really easily. First thing I noticed was the strange slang and mannerisms of the characters in this novel. Quite often I've had to stop myself from slipping into their unusual slang.

Usually I don't like male protagonists because I find it harder to relate and the authors don't always get it right. Jame's Dashner's style of writing is different so it actually worked well. I usually prefer 1st person but in this case 3rd person worked really well and I found myself viewing everything in the main character point of view. Thomas as the protagonist was perfect. I felt like I was him the whole time because every emotion he felt, I felt. When he was confused, I was too, when he got angry, I was right along with him. Dashner's style of writing took you on the experience along with the protagonist.

Thomas was the best character. He was very curious, courageous and brave. When times got hard and it looked like they were never getting out of the situation he never stopped trying to solve the maze. His persistence to survive was admirable because to be honest, if I were him I would have given up long ago. I also really liked the secondary characters, especially Minho and Newt. It wouldn't have been the same without them and their humour had me smiling a lot of the time.

The start was very confusing because of the lack of information but it kept me interested. The whole book I was on the edge of my seat because I had no idea what would happen next, in a situation like this, anything could occur. Many times I was actually scared because Dashner's description was perfect and I could visualise everything in my mind easily.

The Maze Runner was a pleasing read and I can't wait to start the next one. If you like a fast paced novel which will keep you hanging off your seat you have to try this one. And besides the movie is coming out soon. If I had describe this book in one word it would be emotional because these characters had it bad and desperation was all they had. This was the perfect book to read to finish off the month on a good note!


4 comments

  1. Wow, you must have loved this book, it sounds like a great and unique dystopian! You're all set for the movie now! I haven't read this book yet, but it's been sitting on my shelf. I aim to pick it up before the movie is out. Lovely review Francoise!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book a while ago and IT'S SOOOO GOOD!! One of my favorite series, and you will be so torn and sad when you get to the last book. Love your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think the dystopian genre is becoming very samey samey, so I also enjoyed the refreshing, unique aspects of The Maze Runner! Surprisingly, I also got along with Thomas - and I NEVER get along with male protagonists! He wasn't perfect but definitely tolerable and that's what I look for!

    Great review! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so happy you liked this one since i have it on my TBR (i've had it on here since like forever, like you lol) so i'm pretty excited! i am waiting until August to read the book before seeing the movie in September since i want everything that happened in the movie to be fresh in my mind!
    Great review! I'm so glad this one just surpassed all expectations for you!
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete