Latest Posts

{Review} Split Second by Kasie West

By 6:30 pm



If you haven't read Pivot Point, I advise you don't read this as it may contain minor spoilers.

Author: Kasie West
Series: Pivot Point #2
Release Date: February 11th
Publishers: Harper Teen
Pages: 360
Genre: Paranormal
Links: Goodreads | Author's Website  | Buy the book

Life can change in a split second.

Addie hardly recognizes her life since her parents divorced. Her boyfriend used her. Her best friend betrayed her. She can’t believe this is the future she chose. On top of that, her ability is acting up. She’s always been able to Search the future when presented with a choice. Now she can manipulate and slow down time, too . . . but not without a price.

When Addie’s dad invites her to spend her winter break with him, she jumps at the chance to escape into the Norm world of Dallas, Texas. There she meets the handsome and achingly familiar Trevor. He’s a virtual stranger to her, so why does her heart do a funny flip every time she sees him? But after witnessing secrets that were supposed to stay hidden, Trevor quickly seems more suspicious of Addie than interested in her. And she has an inexplicable desire to change that.

Meanwhile, her best friend, Laila, has a secret of her own: she can restore Addie’s memories . . . once she learns how. But there are powerful people who don’t want to see this happen. Desperate, Laila tries to manipulate Connor, a brooding bad boy from school—but he seems to be the only boy in the Compound immune to her charms. And the only one who can help her.

As Addie and Laila frantically attempt to retrieve the lost memories, Addie must piece together a world she thought she knew before she loses the love she nearly forgot . . . and a future that could change everything.

Review
There's only so many words that can explain how much I love Kasie West's writing. I thought she couldn't possibly beat Pivot Point but Split Second just took it to the next level. The only thing I'm disappointed with is that there's not going to be another book and I can't bare to let this story go!

After dealing with an extreme amount of drama inside the Compound, Addie decides to take a break and stays with her dad in the Norm world. After meeting people who seem familiar, one guy immediately grabs her attention. Trevor manages to make her heart beat erratically whenever he's present but she has no idea why. He's just a stranger to her or is he? In the Compound, her best friend Laila holds a secret that ways her down every day. She's has to learn how to restore memories but has no clue how to or if she can. All she has is a note from Addie who doesn't even remember writing it. 

Pivot Point changes between each search so we sort of bounce back and forth with two possible futures. But in this one we change POV's with Addie's best friend, Laila. I thought I wouldn't like it as much but I loved Laila's separate story line. It also enhanced our view of how deep their friendship runs. Both Addie and Laila would do anything for each other and they have such a loyal friendship. I never got confused between each chapters because each character had a different voice. 

In Split Second we go through all the feels of new love all over again. I fell in love with Trevor again as well and it was just as sweet as the first time. But along with the romance with Trevor and Addie we get a new relationship that begins to form. Laila gets a new love interest and it's cute viewing how Laila goes against everything she thought she knew about guys. 

Split Second is more suspenseful than the last and Kasie West doesn't let up on the plot twists. I'm constantly on the edge of my seat because anything can happen. I was happy with the ending but I wish West would continue and make it into a trilogy or make a short novella of what happens next. I guess I always want this in books, like an epilogue of some sort. For example Harry Potter had that little 19 year later thing.

Overall Split Second was a great read. I was up reading it when I was supposed to be studying for an exam but it was so worth it. I'll be buying the rest of Kasie West's books because I just love her writing style. There's humour, suspense, cute romance, plot twists and everything you need in a great novel.

Do you like Paranormal books?
Can you predict plot twists?


Note: I may not post at all next two week because I have assessments for school nearly every day...that'll be fun times! So obviously it means I won't have time to read let alone write any reviews. I may be able to squeeze in small discussions.

8 comments

  1. Okay I am getting crazy anxious to read this book. Loved your review! And those two questions at the end there. Why must you be so enticing?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn I wish this wasn't a dualogy! Glad you enjoyed it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo five stars! I had to skim this for fear of spoilers, but I've got both books on my shelves so I will definitely start it soon. I've heard nothing but praise for this duology, so I'm really glad you liked it and that I ended off well. :D

    Joy @ Thoughts By J

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this book for a rather long time and I have heard nothing but amazing things. I can't wait to finally read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, the concept sounds really interesting how she changes with Laila instead of overusing the alternate realities povs from the first book. I love the sound of more suspense too! Great review, can't wait to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FRANCOISE I'VE MISSED YOU SO MUCH. This review is perfect timing as I'm reading it right now! Loving it so far and know what you mean about Laila, I was disappointed she was half the book at first, but I'm enjoying her story so far. Hope your assignments are going well! Exams are keeping me busy too...and procrastination! (BTW, LOVE yours and Sunny's Diva Discussions banner :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couldn't read this review 'cause I haven't read Pivot Point but I'm sure it was fab! I do feel like I owe you a bajillion comments though - hence, why I'm leaving this one! - because I've been MIA from your comment box FOR AGES! So, I hope you're doing well and all that jazz and I promise to leave a much more worthwhile comment on your next post! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's interesting to see more duologies popping up lately, but it's a shame they often feel too short. I'll have to give Kasie's books a go!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete