Latest Posts

{Review} The One by Kiera Cass

By 9:04 pm

Author:  Kiera Cass
Release Date:  May 6th 2014
Publishers: HarperTeen
Pages: 323
Genre: Dystopia
Links: Goodreads | Author's Website  | Buy the book

The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown--or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose--and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

*I'd like to thank HarperTeen Aus for sending me this for review, it does not influence my opinion.*

Review
Back in my review for The Elite I stated:
"To be honest I don't see how this story is going to end in a trilogy and I just hope that Kiera Cass has something up her sleeve to just mind blow us all. I think that the next book will seal the fate of the series as to whether I enjoyed it or not."
I'm glad to say that The One reached my expectations. I've always said that this novel was either going to be the make or break of this series and Kiera Cass did not let me down.

I have to start off by saying I am so proud of America! She frustrated me so much in The Elite because she tends to mess things up easily. For a smart girl she always managed to do the most stupidest things. America has gone through some major character development since The Selection and it's lovely witnessing her go along her journey. I love her character because she is strong-willed and isn't afraid to state her opinion and most of all she isn't' perfect and she knows it. She's a very flawed character that makes her realistic but still sometimes I question her common sense. Even when the competition became more intense, she stayed focused on only what she wanted.

The secondary characters also had a major breakthrough towards the end. Celeste who I hated throughout the whole series changed for the better. She actually made me laugh and I adored her character at the end. Despite it being a serious competition when it was only down to the four of them, all the girls came together let out what had been weighing them all down. Aspen who you all know I hated with a passion actually gained my respect in this book. I still don't entirely like him but he deserved the ending he got.

Maxon remained the sweet and passionate guy he always was. We really got to see into his heart and what he was really feeling as he opened up. He started off as just the prince who didn't know anything and was trapped inside his own bubble where everything is great. Now that America opened up is world he's been striving to be better and he achieved this. I love Maxon so much and it's sad to let him go!

Sunny and I did a post on what we predicted and what we wanted to have in The One and a lot of this was fulfilled. I won't tell you which of our predictions were correct but I'm happy to say that the rebel attacks were done much better this time round. It was explained properly and I liked the resolve in the end. I was always confused with the difference between the Northern and Southern rebels and it became clear what there different objectives were. I was a little disappointed because I wish they were a little more drawn out. They were over in like a flash and it didn't create as much of an impact as it could have. I wanted more of an action scene.

No words can describe how much I enjoyed it. I practically read it as soon as I got it in the mail and couldn't put it down once. The Selection series is so easy to read and it's easy to become so engrossed in the game of the selection. It's hard not to form an attachment to such unique characters and it's sad to see this trilogy end. It was a happy ending which all the characters deserved but it's sort of bitter-sweet that it ended.

I rate the whole series:


4 comments

  1. OMG!! I agree with you in every freaking way! This is actually my favorite series, despite what everyone says about it. And I love that you love this book! Anyway, if you care enough to stop andcheck my review, it'll be amazing

    eternalbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I just wrote a review on "The One" too. I hope you'll check it out ;)

    Miss Perfection @A Perfection Called Book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I'm glad to hear you really enjoyed the series and that America improved from the past book, Francoise! I had to skim the rest of your review for fear of spoilers (I haven't started The Selection yet).

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review! I still haven't started reading the One yet, but I am very excited to finally start it (and finish it)!

    ReplyDelete