Latest Posts

{Mini Review} Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann

By 6:37 pm , , ,

Author: Claire Kann
Release: January 23rd 2018
Publishers: Swoon Reads 
Pages: 288
Genre: Contemporary | Romance | LGBT
Links: Goodreads | Book Depository

Alice had her whole summer planned. Nonstop all-you-can-eat buffets while marathoning her favorite TV shows (best friends totally included) with the smallest dash of adulting—working at the library to pay her share of the rent. The only thing missing from her perfect plan? Her girlfriend (who ended things when Alice confessed she's asexual). Alice is done with dating—no thank you, do not pass go, stick a fork in her, done.

But then Alice meets Takumi and she can’t stop thinking about him or the rom com-grade romance feels she did not ask for (uncertainty, butterflies, and swoons, oh my!).

When her blissful summer takes an unexpected turn and Takumi becomes her knight with a shiny library-employee badge (close enough), Alice has to decide if she’s willing to risk their friendship for a love that might not be reciprocated—or understood


Review

This novel was such a cute and light read. And it warmed my heart to finally read a contemporary romance with a black girl as the main character. I honestly don't think I've ever read a book with a POC as the main character. I wish I could teleport back in time and hand my 12 year old self this book. It would have been a major confidence boost having a protagonist I could relate to in some ways. Little things like struggling with hair is something a black girl struggles with on the daily and Claire Kann was spot on in her description. 

Another aspect I loved is that it tackled the issues of dating while being asexual. I'll have to be honest that before this book I didn't know too much about it but I definitely got something educational out of it. This is what I mean when I say we want more diverse books! I would never have understood how frustrating it would be meeting someone you like and them not understanding what asexual is before this book. It made me so much more open minded about it and it's interesting to see dating from that perspective as it so completely different to my views. 

The characters were so different from what I was used to and in a way more realistic. Like the tensions between Alice and her two best friends who were dating. I can totally understand how that would be hard in real life to balance the friendship as well as the relationship without leaving somebody out. The whole time while I was reading it I could just imagine it as a good TV series.

Another plus is that we had an interracial couple. Not very often in YA would we have an asian love interest and that was really refreshing. I really loved Takumi's personality and the slow build up of their relationship was SO cute! If I could describe their relationship in a few words it would be rainbows, unicorns  and cupcakes haha. 

I think this read is more of a 3.5 hearts. It's more than satisfactory, it's honestly a cute read you would take on a holiday.



0 comments