Latest Posts

{Movie Review} The Fault in Our Stars

By 6:15 pm

*I advise not to read this review if you have not read the book!*

The Fault in Our Stars movie has been all the talk for weeks and I finally got to watch the movie yesterday. After declining an offer to watch the pre-screening a couple weeks ago, I finally got the chance to watch it for a birthday party!

I'm not saying the movie was better than the novel but it was probably one of the best book to movie adaptations so far this year. This movie broke my heart again! I was always the odd one out because I never cried in the book but somehow I knew I would in the movie. Let's just say I did not bring nearly enough tissues for me and my group of friends.

It was just so exhilarating watching the movie with a whole cinema of fangirls. I think they needed to turn the audio up a little because I could barely hear the dialogue over the sniffling of girls (including me) ranging from all ages. It was kind of funny though because my friend was already bawling her eyes out from half way through the movie and things hadn't even gotten sad yet. The whole cinema ended up laughing because at every happy moment she would cry harder because we all knew these moments wouldn't last long.

Now onto the actual movie! Words cannot explain what a top job the producers did. There were obvious changes but it fitted in with the movie so well. They did such a good job of every scene they put in that it didn't matter so much. Prior to the movie I wasn't a huge fan of the casting. I thought I wouldn't be able to keep the image of Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort as brother and sister but surprisingly I did not think of that once.

Ansel played the perfect Gus and every scene he was in I was just grinning. He portrayed the humour perfectly and every time he smiled I couldn't help but do the same. I thought that Shailene wouldn't do a very good job of Hazel because she is a very down to earth character but I actually loved her as Hazel. I actually think she did a better job of Hazel than Tris. For some reason I really liked the parents in this movie, I feel like their emotions were displayed better in the movie than the book.

I don't think I can say anything else. You have to watch the movie to get the feels. All I can say is that even a girl like me who doesn't cry very often was brought down to a mess. It was kind of funny because every girl that exited the cinema would make a bee-line to the bathroom to fix up their ruined make-up. This movie receives an obvious 5 stars and I cannot wait till it comes out on DVD. They say The Notebook is the ultimate movie to make you cry...I'd say this beats it by a long shot.



6 comments

  1. I'm always happpy to see good book to movie adaptations, and this one sounds almost perfect! I'm worried about how much I'll cry :D

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this so much! I was planning to watch it today but I ended up watching The Other Woman. >< I should've just stayed in the cinema!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How good was it! I totally forgot to mention the parents in my post but I agree how amazing were they, I loved Laura dern especially!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I'm glad you finally got to watch it and really enjoyed it Francoise! How good was it, I think it was weird how the dad barely cried in this movie though. Shai definitely made a better Hazel, when she was Tris she kind of kept every emotion under check. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT DIDN'T CRY IN THE BOOK!! Whenever I say that I didn't cry while reading tfios, I always get weird looks. >.> Nevertheless, I've been meaning to watch the movie and you have just encouraged me even more! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET. I'm on holiday when my friends are seeing it and England get it so late :'(. Glad you loved it!!! Makes me more excited to see it. Btw have you read The One yet? Tweet me if you have, I'd love to talk about it :D Hope everything's okay with you, just trying to get back into blogging.

    ReplyDelete