Latest Posts

{Review} This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

By 8:55 pm

Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Release Date: April 2nd 2013
Publishers: Headline
Pages: 404
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Links: Goodreads | Buy the book

If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds.

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?

Review

I want to start off by saying sorry for my sudden disappearance. I haven't had the time to blog at the moment let alone read and yada yada yada [insert bullsh*t excuse] 

This novel certainly lived up to the title by inducing such happy and fuzzy feelings inside me. In one word it would be cute! Everyone always talks about how well Smith writes and I have to say she is such a good contemporary romance writer. I am so excited to start The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight (Such long titles!) and I have to buy The Geography of You and Me. I want to own ALL her books!

Let's start off with the story-line. From the first page I knew I was going to enjoy it but I also knew it was going to be cliche. It's both sort of cliche and non-cliche at the same time. Cliche because of the whole 'middle of nowhere' town and a celebrity comes bringing unwanted paparazzi but not cliche in terms of the characters. Jennifer E. Smith creates such vivid imagery of what the town looks like and I feel like I could just a walk around the town. Usually I don't like reading in third person but in this case it worked really well. It changed POV between Ellie and Graham and it worked so well because there was a huge distinction between each characters.

The characters were really unique and I love how Smith portrays Graham (Famous movie star) as not the typical rude boy who's a rebel because he has fame but the caring kid who just wants time away from all the cameras. She puts a different light on what being a celebrity really means and it made me think that it's not as amazing as they advertise it to be. Ellie, our main protagonist, was such a down to earth character and didn't allow Graham's fame effect anything. It didn't give him the upper hand and in her eyes he was another ordinary kid. The one thing I liked about this story was the fact that each character had their own individual story. Weirdly enough, I found myself wanting to know more about the mother's past even though she's a secondary character.

There's nothing more I can really add because I know I can't do it justice. Trust me when I say that this is a book you should consider when you feel like a light, summery romance. Its a good length novel - 400 pages - so I felt like it ended on a good note and there were no potholes. This book made me so happy but the only negative thing I can say about it is that I want summer to arrive a lot sooner!


4 comments

  1. I totally agree, she does cliche's really well and I think that is the point. Her first book, which you have to read so good, takes place all within one day. It's such an interesting concept, because people always tell you not to write cliche's. But it is hard to avoid them really, and I think Jennifer E. Smith has really embraced them in a great way. I really enjoy her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I have been kind of avoiding Jennifer E. Smith because I was afraid I wouldn't like the cliches, despite all the great reviews that have been slowly trying to convince me otherwise, but if she can pull them off then I think I'll try it! Her books all seem really cute and fun. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed JESmith's other book, The Geography of You and Me, and while this kind of sounds cliche, I still would like to read it. I like the premise about the movie star coming to a town and their individual stories. Lovely review Francoise! (Good to see you back!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved this book! It's such a cute, fun, summer read. So glad you loved it. This review makes me long a re-read.

    - Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog

    ReplyDelete